Monday, January 28, 2013

The Year of "Yes" and "Why Not"

I'm starting to think this year is less about doing those the things that I have always had in mind to do, and more about saying yes to random opportunities.  Not that I wont actually accomplish the things I've wanted to do for a long time (don't worry, I'm still planning on traveling, repainting my coffee table, and reading through the bible in a year), but I've found that the best things so far this year have come by saying "yes" to completely unforeseen circumstances.  Want to eat pizza by a bonfire on the beach?  Of Course!  Want to drive to DC for a spontaneous visit to one of your best girlfriends?  Why not! 

This past weekend was a great example. 

Who wants to load up their car and take 7 students to Charlotte for a conference about how to invest their lives in a significant way?


This Girl!
 
 
It's supposed to rain and be 26 degrees for the entire four hour drive to Charlotte.  Are you sure you're still up for this?

Sure...why not!  As long as we stop once an hour to chip the ice off the windshield and drive slow we should be fine.  It's an adventure...right?
 
 

You have two free hours during Saturday afternoon.  Stay in the hotel and nap or load up the car and help your students explore Charlotte?

 
Let's be honest here, that's not even a real question.  We'll just hit up the best coffee shop in the world...Amelies French Bakery


Followed by the best burger in the world...Bad Daddy's
 
 
It really was a fun weekend.  The students there were challenged to consider how they might serve God in whatever it is God calls them to after college, and I really do love a good road trip.  I would normally talk myself out of taking such a trip.  The weather is too bad, I've been to so many conferences already this year, there is probably someone else on our team who could have gone.  But if I had talked myself out of it, look at all the things I would have missed, icy adventures and exploring my old town with new friends.  It makes me wonder what else might be in store this year if I keep saying "yes" to opportunities in front of me.
 
Who knows...literally anything could happen.

1 comment:

  1. Caitlin,
    Love that you're "stepping out of your box" and enjoying the experiences of life! You are a great encouragement to me to participate in life, rather than simply living.
    Thanks!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete