Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sponteneity is great, but sometimes you have to plan for it

I like to think that I am spontaneous, that I could decide on a moments notice to take a road trip, pack my bags in 10 minutes and run out the door on a great adventure.  But the reality is that I'm really not.  I like a good plan.  Not one that is necessarily written in stone and can't be changed if the feeling strikes, but I like to know what to expect, and what I'm doing, and I hate missing out on something I'm looking forward to because I didn't plan well.  I'm not talking a minute by minute agenda, but I do like to know where I'm going and what I'm doing, or at least know that someone else has it covered. 
 
So, when my good friend, and former student, Brittany came into town for the weekend to partake in the Year of Do, a little bit of planning was in order for our spontaneously fun weekend.  And it was indeed fun. 
 
We read on the beach...
 
 
(Did I mention this is January and I am wearing shorts and laying on the beach!!!)
 
 

We cooked an entirely vegan meal...
 


(Brittany and Ellen eating Kale, pesto pasta, guacamole, chick pea salad, and pomegranate tea)
 
 
We took a walk to the secret mailbox on Wrightsville Beach...

(If you haven't ever been, I highly recommend it!  People write anonymous notes and leave it in this mailbox in the dunes.  And...it's kind of an adventure to find.)


(Secret mailbox on Wrightsville Beach is no longer a secret...oops!)


(Just one more of the mailbox.  I know...how cool is my town!)


(The long walk back from the secret mailbox.  It took us a lot longer to find it than it should have.)


And, to top it all off, I got a letter from AARP!  Wait...I really am too young for this to be happening right?

(You can kind of see the new haircut in this picture...maybe...OK...I'll post a better one later.) 
 
 
It was a great weekend with lots of laughs, lots of beach time, and lots of girl talk about life.  I'm starting to realize that this whole Year of Do would be far less fun if it weren't for great people to experience life with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment