Friday, February 22, 2013

Meet My Friend Carrie: A Year of Do Accomplice

Meet my friend Carrie...

and her fat pug in a little coat...aka...GIBBY!!!  (I really hope, as your read that statement, you sang it as Chris Farley from Tommy Boy)
 
Carrie and I met almost ten years ago.  She was a Georgia girl.  I was from North Carolina.  And for no logical reason, other than the fact that we loved the city, we both ended up at the College of Charleston, not knowing a soul in the entire state of South Carolina.
 
I still consider putting Carrie and I in a dorm room together that first year one of the best decisions the College of Charleston has ever made.  I wish I had pictures of that dorm room.  It was literally one of the smallest rooms I've ever been in.  There was a bed on one wall, a bed on the other, and a small walk way that ran between then.  Theoretically, one person could lay on their bed, reach out their hand, and hit the person on the "other side of the room."  But we loved that dorm room.  There were dance parties (I seem to remember Carrie going through a Hillary Duff phase that year), long talks late at night, and random moments that you can probably never get away with any time in life other than your freshman year of college.
 
From there, we lived in the Bull St. house (a historic house in downtown Charleston that looked far more charming than it really was), and after that the Society St. apartment (that was conveniently located next to a fire house that tested their sirens at 2 am every morning).  We graduated from college wearing our white sun dresses, a tradition at the College of Charleston.  We navigated the awkward transition from college friends to adult friends.  We moved to different states.  We switched jobs.  We have been through singleness, dating, and marriage (her, not me).  Life has changed a lot, and Carrie has been one of those sweet friends that has walked through a significant number of different stages with me. 
 
Carrie now lives in Indianapolis with her Husband and Gibby, the pug (pictured above).  I live in Wilmington, NC.  For those of you unfamiliar with east coast geography, that is a twelve and a half hour drive.  I think one of the biggest changes after you graduate college is that your relationships take effort to maintain.  Gone are the days when Carrie and I would run into each other at the Chick-fil-a in the Stern Center on a daily basis.  But for some relationships, there's really never a question as to if it's worth the effort.  It just is.  Carrie is one of those. 
 
So after a long phone date Tuesday night, we decided that the Year of Do would just be incomplete without a girl's weekend.  We've been talking of doing this since she got married last October.  Time to make it a reality.  We have it narrowed down to two weekends in May.  Updates will come as more planning happens, but needless to say, this may be the Year of Do activity I'm looking forward to the most right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment