Thursday, May 16, 2013

Wilmington Summer Bucket List: The Creepy Zoo Wasn't So Creepy

I'm not going to lie, my expectations were pretty low for the zoo on Carolina Beach Road.  For starters, who really expects a zoo on the outskirts of a beach town; A surf shop, maybe, but not a zoo.  But it was one of those places that has piqued my interest ever since I was driving through town with my friend Brooke and asked what the giant building shaped like a lion's head was.  So I rounded up a some friends and a few kids (because zoos are always better with kids around) and we set off to experience everything the Creepy Zoo, as I had affectionately started referring to it as, had to offer. 

What did we find?  It turns out the creepy zoo really isn't that creepy at all.  Actually, it's kind of amazing.  Who would have thought a leopard, white tiger, sloth, giraffe, and lemurs all lived within 10 miles of Carolina Beach. 

It's a super blurry picture, but here is our rag tag group of Creepy Zoo explorers standing at the entrance.
 
 

At the entrance you could pick up corn and peanuts to feed the animals with.  This donkey was quite friendly once he realized I had food.
 
 

Oh you know...just another day in the life...chasing a peacock.  At this point, I'm pretty sure Jacob was saying, "A bird!  I will catch it!"  Don't worry...he never did.  Did you know peacocks can jump fences?
 
 

I love sloths.  I think they are my favorite animals.  They just look so friendly.
 

 
I was attempting to feed the parrot a peanut.  I couldn't quite reach far enough.
 

Enthralled by the swans...so clique yet so true.
 

Special shout out to my friend, Julian, (and the random photo bombing girl behind us) who called me last night and said he wanted to mark something off my Wilmington Bucket List with me.  We actually marked off two things, the Creepy Zoo and the Trolley Stop.  You can read about his Day of Do adventure with me at http://julianjcarter.com/ 
 
Today was one of those unexpectedly good days.  If anyone living or planning a visit to Wilmington is reading this, I highly recommend a visit to the Creepy Zoo.  Once you get past the building shaped like a giant lion's head, it's actually kind of great.  

No comments:

Post a Comment