Thursday, May 9, 2013

Celebrating the Little Brother's Wedding (aka- the adventures of a cupcake ninja)

Meet my little brother and one of my best friends, Sean. 

The two of us goofing off on a 8 mile hike in Newfoundland

He's 25, close to six feet tall, and not so little, but with two years him, and more embarrassing stories than I could possibly share on this blog, I feel like I've earned the right to call him my "Little Bro,"  or as he likes to be called when I'm asking him to do a favor "Lone Wolf."  (He is literally one of the most servant hearted people you have ever met, but only if you agree to call him Lone Wolf during the duration of the favor.)

But, as he has recently started signing his emails, "The Lone Wolf is not so lone anymore."  Just a few days ago, I made the trek to Belhaven, NC, for the Lone Wolf to, "Get Him Married He Do."  (Another saying he has adopted over the last few months.) 

I'm not sure there is anything better for the Year of Do than to go all out celebrating your little brother getting married.  And so, go all out we did...

The view was amazing,

The view from our family's house on the Pungo River where they got married.
 
the bride was beautiful,
 
 
Me and my new sister-in-law minutes before she walked down the aisle
 
there were tons of friends and family to celebrate with us,

Sean's two best friends I've known since they were three years old
 
and to say the food was good would be a gross understatement.

 
Okay, to be totally honest, I may be a little biased about the food.  Sean and Julia were a little bit heartbroken when they found out the baker didn't do Funfetti cupcakes for weddings.  So, it was the big sister and seven boxes of cupcake mix to the rescue.  It couldn't have been that hard right?  (I really need to stop saying that.)
 
Actually, I have been dying to try my hand at cupcake decorating and this seemed like as good a time as any.  And anything I had trouble figuring out, Google, Pinterest, and Youtube helped to fill in the gaps.
 
So the day before the wedding, I got to work baking...and baking...and baking.
 
This was only about 26 of 150 cupcakes we baked that day.  I'm pretty sure every usable surface out of reach of the dog was used for cupcake goodness. 
 
And then we frosted.  My first mistake in this process was thinking my Target brand hand held mixer was up to the task of mixing up enough frosting for 150 cupcakes.  Around batch 5 of butter cream frosting the mixer died a rather slow and noisy death and we had to resort to the backup mixer (thank goodness for backup mixers or this girl would not be able to lift her arms above her shoulders.)
 
Expertly piping frosting with the help of Martha Stewart, Youtube, and Pinterest.
 

Pretty frosted Cupcakes
 
Next came the hint of blue sprinkles to match their wedding colors.


Last, but not least, we topped them off with white chocolate hearts and monograms, and tied purple ribbon around the bottom to coordinate with the wedding colors. 


 
And for my first ever foray into wedding cupcakes, I was pretty impressed with how they turned out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment