Monday, April 1, 2013

To Travel Or Not To Travel, That Is The Question

Sometimes all of this "doing" is exhausting.  Once I'm actually in the middle of doing whatever task I've set out to do, I love it.  But there is always this moment right before where I think to myself, "Wouldn't it just be easier if you didn't.  That couch looks so comfortable with it's fluffy blanket and cushy pillows." 

This weekend was a great example of that.  It was Easter weekend and here were the options.  1) Drive to Charlotte (for the sixth time this year) for the weekend to see my family.  2) Attend the wedding of a college roommate in Greenville, SC.  Or 3) Stay at home in Wilmington and catch up on some much needed sleep while at the same time proving to friends in town that I do in fact live here, something they are inevitably starting to doubt.

Thursday night, everything in me wanted to claim my rightful place on the couch for the weekend and catch up on Downton Abby.  We are in the middle of our busy season on campus right now and the number of free nights and weekends are few and far between.  Can you guess which of my three options I ended up taking?



Your leaning towards option 3 aren't you....



Now your starting to doubt yourself...maybe option 1....



Well, it is the Year of Do.  Why pick one when you can do all three...right?!?!

I packed up my car Friday afternoon and made the four hour trek to Charlotte just in time to meet my parents for dinner at my favorite BBQ restaurant in town, Mac's BBQ.  It's supposed to resemble a biker bar, but everytime I've taken my parents, my dad points out that the closest thing to a motorcycle in the parking lot is a row of brightly colored Vespa scooters.  Maybe it's not as biker friendly as they advertise, but no one can argue that they serve the best beef brisket in town. 

Saturday morning found my mom and I dress shopping with my soon to be sister-in-law for the perfect rehearsal dinner dress.  One of the biggest items on my bucket list for the year was to celebrate my little brother getting married.  That's not one of those things you can put off until next year.  You really only get one opportunity to celebrate well something like that and I don't want to miss it.  It was such a sweet time being able to just celebrate as the women in our family.  I wouldn't have wanted to miss that for the world. 


The VanScott women, elated over the fact that we found the perfect rehearsal dinner dress.  I'm going to keep you waiting in suspense for a few more weeks to see what it looks like.
 
We finished dress shopping just in time for me to stop by the hotel, speed change into a more wedding appropriate outfit (I'm not sure they would have approved the jeans and hoodie I was sporting at South Park Mall), and take off on phase 2 of the weekend, the wedding of a college roommate. 
 
Jen and I lived together during my senior year of college, and not only was I thrilled to get to see her get married, but it was also a chance to catch up with college friends I hadn't seen in years. 
 

I just love these women. 
 
And it really was such a fun night.  We danced, and laughed as we remembered ridiculous things we had done in college, and caught up on what had happened since (jobs and weddings and babies).  I laughed harder that night than I have in a really long time.  The kind of laughing where your abs hurt and you really do have a hard time catching your breath.
 
Sunday morning found me back in Charlotte, celebrating Easter with my family, and by that afternoon I was on the road, back to Wilmington.
 
As I was driving home that afternoon, I kept thinking how there really is something to this whole Year of Do thing.  It would have been so easy to sleep and sit on the couch all weekend, and it would have been well deserved after a few really busy weeks.  But instead, I went shopping with my sister-in-law, ate at a favorite restaurant, spent time with my family, celebrated a dear friend getting married, caught up with friends I hadn't seen in years, and saw my brother's new life in his new town.  I may have been asleep by 9:30 on Sunday night, but it was worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment