Monday, April 15, 2013

The Year of Road Trips?

Whew...the last month has been a bit of a crazy one if you can't tell by my lack of blogging.  There was the Women's Retreat is Belhaven, NC, a trip back to Greenville to work on my taxes, the Leaders Retreat (literally in the middle of no where), and the Wilmington to Charlotte to Greenville, SC to Charlotte to Wilmington Easter extravaganza weekend.  In the last month, I have yet to actually be in town for a weekend.  Maybe the Year of Do should officially undergo a name change to the Year of Road Trip. 

So, with my first free weekend in ages, the options were endless.  Wednesday night, I literally couldn't sleep thinking about everything I could do that I haven't been able to in the last month.  I could actually do all of my laundry (not just wash the things that were absolutely necessary, leaving the rest in a heaping pile on the floor).  I could wander around downtown Wilmington, checking out the Azalea festival with all of its vendors and bands.  The Avette Brothers were playing a concert this weekend.  That could be a fun option.  I could actually go to my church.  I'm pretty sure they are starting to think I have either disappeared or found a new church home.  I could actually start building this kitchen table.  Oh goodness...this poor table that I got so excited to start, yet has sat sad and abandoned for the past month.

So what did I end up doing?  I traveled.  I know...I know...You're thinking, "I thought that's exactly what you didn't want to do!"  But when a good friends call spur of the moment on a Friday afternoon and say they have a beach house at Oak Island for the weekend, there really isn't any other appropriate answer other than, "Sure...why not!"

And honestly, I think it was exactly what I needed.  A weekend with no cell phone service, no internet access, where I could nap and read as much as I wanted, only to be interrupted by walks on the beach, snuggling puppies, the smell of cooking bacon, and hysterical conversations.  I love when the Year of Do and times of rest collide into one great, unexpected weekend. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment