Monday, April 22, 2013

Sewing: Not For The Faint of Heart

There I laid, sprawled out on the floor, gazing up at the gold and glass chandelier dangling from the dining room ceiling.  My first thought was, "That really is a hideous chandelier."  I had thought that ever since my roommate and I had moved into that house, but now, looking up at it from the floor, in the dim light of a rainy day, it seemed to take on a whole new level of heinousness. 

And then it hit me, the reason I was sprawled out on the floor in the first place, contemplating the ugly monstrosity hanging from my ceiling.  Just seconds before, I had diligently been working to finish the last two aprons that were supposed to be finished in time to be Christmas presents, trying to embrace the Year of Do spirit and take advantage of a few spare minutes.  I was feeling pretty good about finally finishing this project that had been hanging over my head since November and thinking to myself how the Year of Do really has made me a more productive person. 

Lost in a state of contentment and concentration, I didn't even notice the fact that my finger was getting dangerously close to the needle on my sewing machine.  I'll spare you the details of what happened next.  Suffice it to say, as a kid, I would routinely pass out at the sight of blood and needles.  As I laid on my dining room floor, I suddenly became aware of the fact that I had yet to outgrow that trait. 

My view when I woke up
 
I was able to snap this picture after I regained consciousness and the bleeding from my finger began to slow, and immediately sent it to  few good friends.  After they were adequately assured that I really was fine after passing out, we laughed at how this is pretty typical of the chaos/clumsiness that is often my life. 
 
Sometimes in the Year of Do, you sit back and marvel at how much you are able to accomplish, and other times, you find yourself laying on your dining room floor, texting pictures of your ceiling to your best friends.  We'll call this one a good story, but ultimately a Year of Do failure. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment