Monday, March 4, 2013

The Intrepid Speaker

Ugh...I hate public speaking.  Have I mentioned that?  I guess I did write a blog post recalling my fear of public speaking based on the tragic/epic fainting epidemic in my seventh grade English class during a speech on Colonial America.  But, in case I need to say it one more time to reinforce the point, "There are some things you were just made to love and enjoy doing.  For me, public speaking is the exact opposite of that." 

And that's actually how I started my talk entitled A Biblical Basis for Social Justice at this past CRU meeting.  My plan was to come over prepared for my time, and then set low expectations so if anything bad happened, like another spur of the moment fainting attack, I would be covered.  In the end, it was unnecessary.  On two feet I stood, firmly planted on the middle of the stage, bible in hand, ear microphone wobbling ever so slightly in front of my face, with fifty sets of eyes either fixed on my every move or checking Facebook on their smart phones.  (It's hard to tell on stage with all of the spot lights shining in your eyes.)

And as uncomfortable and scary as it was, I'm so glad I did it, for a couple of different reasons.  First, and maybe most importantly, there has been a HUGE resurgence of Social Justice platforms lately among college students.  It affects almost all of their choices, how they spend their Christmas Breaks, which shoes they will buy, what stores they will shop in, which campus organizations they will get involved in, what they will major in, and what job they will eventually have.  As they contemplate how they will use their lives to meet some of the needs in this world, they need to understand that Social Justice fits perfectly into the heart and plan of God as well.

Secondly, and a far more selfish reason, it provided a great opportunity to step further out of my comfort zone and try things that are all together intimidating for me.  Call it nerves, or adrenalin, but it's kind of a rush to look at something with complete fear and walk into it non the less.  It may be one of the biggest perks of the Year of Do.

No comments:

Post a Comment